We at BIHA hope everyone is being safe and healthy during these unusual times. BIHA has been closely monitoring the news surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and are taking the following steps:
Rent & Utility Relief
Baranof Island Housing Authority has obtained federal funding from the recently passed CARES Act which gives us the ability to provide additional assistance. BIHA is now offering Rent & Utility Relief to all who have been affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Rent and Utility Waivers are being applied to tenant accounts for the months of June, July, and August 2020. You will find these adjustments on your billing statements.If you’re in our Home-buyers Program, and requesting assistance for your utilities you will need to submit a copy of your utility bill from the City and Borough of Sitka for the months of June, July, and August.
Please note, the Rent/Utility Relief covers rent and utility charges for the months, June, July, & August 2020 only. The Relief will not pay for any of the following:
- Past due balances prior to June 2020
- Storage Fees
- Work Order Charges
- Maintenance Reserve Charges
We ask that tenants who have had a past due balance prior to June 2020 use this time to bring their balances to zero.
Annual Face-to-Face recertification meetings are being postponed until further notice. Recertifications can still be completed with documentation that you provide to the housing department if you wish to have your rental charge adjusted.
Recertifications can also be completed through employment and benefit verifications that BIHA’s housing department can conduct of your behalf. In order to do this the Release of Information Forms must be signed and returned to BIHA Housing Staff.
Annual Inspections are also being postponed until further notice. In the meantime, there are things that you can do to ensure your home is in compliance with BIHA’s Admissions & Occupancy Policy.
- Clean the interior of your home to ensure compliance with BIHA’s A&O Policy
- Remove any obstruction from entryways, heat registers, and window accesses so they don’t pose any fire hazards.
- Clean areas and surfaces that may pose as health and safety concerns.
- Store and organize items (clothing, toys, papers, food, etc.) to avoid clutter.
- Clean the exterior of your home to ensure compliance with BIHA’s A&O Policy
- Clear any excess of items surrounding the exterior.
- Clear any items or obstruction from entryways and porches of unit.
- Clean any trash/waste items surrounding the unit that may attract a bear.
- Remove inoperable vehicles or return them to operable condition.
The City and Borough of Sitka will be having the City-wide Spring Clean-Up July 18th-26th. BIHA will be coordinating with Pacific Waste to have large containers placed in Indian River, Andrew Hope, and Katherine Benson neighborhoods for tenant disposal needs.
ACH Payments Coming Soon
Direct deposit (ACH) will soon be part of our future. Implementation of the Automated Clearing House has been affected by the shut-down and the increased responsibilities to administer the CARES Act funds. We look forward to offering this to our tenants in the near future, and we hope it will simplify your payment process.